Starting off with solid food for babies is always a challenge to a new mom. A mom will have many questions on what to feed a baby, what is the right quantity to be given, how many meals should be included and between what intervals shoud the baby be fed. But as time flies, they tend to understand about baby food chart and foods to be given. The kitchen will be loaded with various fruits that are suitable for kids, different types of readymade store-bought cereals which can be made quickly and easily.
No matter how good the ready-made cereals are, they are packed with preservatives which is not good. It is okay to give it once in a while but including it, in a meal every day is not recommended. Even I, when my daughter turned 6 months tried to rely on these foods as I felt only these should be given to babies. I brought 2-3 different flavours at once. When I introduced one of the flavours my daughter did not like it and she would immediately spit it up. I tried different flavours and none of them was liked by her. I was really worried as to what to give her. I did not want to rely on only fruits and breastmilk because I somehow felt that it would not fill her stomach and I also wanted her to gain some weight as she was always underweight.
To my luck one day when I was talking to one of my friends who at that point of time had a 10-month-old son, I shared my anxiety about feeding my daughter. I shared how my daughter hated ready-made cereals and how I was left with no other option. She immediately shared me a recipe for rice porridge that her mom prepares for her son which is also very healthy and tasty. I very next moment I prepared it and I can assure that my daughter ate it without any problem.
If you have started solids for your baby, then you can think of preparing this powder and storing it and this porridge will definitely be a saviour for you. You can prepare it in a very less time. It is very healthy, free of preservatives and also very easy to prepare once the powder is ready. You can completely avoid buying readymade products from the store.
Please check the recipe below to make rice porridge
Cashewnuts – 1/2 cup
Almonds -1/2 cup
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Black pepper – 1tsp
Moong Dal – 3/4th cup
Rice – 1 cup
Procedure to make the powder:
1. Firstly, soak almonds overnight and remove the skin.
2. Dry roast cashew nuts and almonds for a minute. Once the nuts are roasted, remove them to a plate.
3. Now, dry roast jeera for a minute and then add black pepper.
4. Once jeera and pepper are roasted, add moong dal and roast for a while.
5. Lastly, add rice and roast for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it cool.
6. Once the mixture is cooled, add it to the blender along with the nuts and grind them to a powder.
7. You can store the powder in an air tight container.
Method of preparation:
1. Boil water in a clean vessel and add a pinch of salt to the water.
2. Mix a little already prepared powder with water in a bowl to make it lump free. Now add this to the boiling water and stir it continuously for 2-3 minutes.
3. Lastly, add ghee and turn off the flame.
Benefits of this rice porridge
1. Since it is homemade, it is completely free of preservatives and thus very healthy.
2. Cummin helps in improving the immune system and also helps in digestion.
3. Adding pepper is beneficial as it is a good anti-oxidant. Also, pepper is very good for cold and cough.
4. Using cashew and badam boosts brain function. It even helps in weight gain and also strengthens bones and teeth.
1. Keep the flame low while preparing so that the porridge does not have lumps and also does not turn watery.
2. You can avoid using salt if you have not given salt to your baby. I add a pinch of salt because my baby doesn’t eat otherwise.
3. You can adjust water as per your little ones taste. If you don’t want the porridge to be thick, you can add some more water and make it thin.
4. Use can skip using nuts or you can use either of the nuts as per your choice.
5. Though this is completely healthy to give for babies, I would recommend you to check with your paediatrician before giving it to the baby. Also, if you are introducing any new food to your child then please ensure to give it in the day time rather than giving it in the night.